Side tracks, Shaping the Rails and putting on the Tailblock

Thursday, April 10, 2008 0 comments

A little side tracked over the last week. The Cub Scouts Pinewood Derby is coming up this weekend.

I started shaping the rails. I am not sure exactly what I am doing here, but I have been looking at a bunch of longboards so I will see how it turns out. Funny, I do not remember the bench every being that clean.........
I think the best purchase I have made for this project was te Lie Nielson spokeshave. I am sure I could have done with a less expensive one, but this thing does an outstanding job, taking beautiful thin shavings.
I made Jen give it a try. Now I can say it was a "family" project if she hassels me about it.

I have also glued on the tailblock, and shaped it to fair in smoothly. The tailblock is cedar offcuts from the planks, and ebonyscrap that I had laying around.

Now for lots of sanding............................