Getting ready for the tailblock.

Tuesday, April 1, 2008 0 comments

After the glue had set for a couple of days, I unclamped the board and used a spokeshave to fair in the top plank to th ecurve of the rails. The spokeshave made quick work of it, and it was enjoyable to use.
The planks are longer than the frame, making the board longer than designed, so the tail had to be trimmed at the end of the frame. I drew a line square the centerline and used a Japanese hand saw to cut off the tail.
I added a small block in the end to give more surface area for the tailblock to glue to. When that glue sets the blocks will be trimmed flush with the end of the board.

To make the tail block, I used a couple of off cuts from the planks, and a piece of ebony that I had left over from making a fretboard for a guitar.

0 comments: to “ Getting ready for the tailblock. so far...