The Scary Part

Friday, April 18, 2008 0 comments

So the one part of this project that has had me a little scared is the fiberglass. My woodworking experience has kept me pretty confident that I could build the board, but this part is somethingI have never done.


Here is the board set up and ready to begin the process. I share the garage I am working in. I have had to annex most of it for the fiberglassing. Fortunately my landlord completed a project he had going and the space is available for the next few days.

The fiberglass is first laid out and trimmed to overhang about an inch.

To begin I mixed up some epoxy and dumped it down the length of the board. Using a scraper, this was then spread about, wetting and smoothing all of the fabric.
I wet the fabric all the way around the rails to the blue tape.
The tape makes a straight edge that will later be trimmed, providing a nice seam between the top and bottom fabric. Mid way through I had to mix up a second cup of epoxy. Somewhere I read that the cedar is very absorbent, that person was not wrong.



Here the first coat of epoxy is done. I will apply a second coat in about 4 hours to fill the weave of the fabric.

0 comments: to “ The Scary Part so far...