Bound and Gagged

Sunday, December 14, 2008 0 comments

The binding on the edge of the guitar provides two functions. One is for protection of the instrument, the other is gluing surface. It helps to hold the corners of the guitar together.


I got the ledge routed out for the binding last week. I use a Dremel tool with an attachment that controls the depth of cut. At the cutaway the attachment is too big so that I cut by hand with a razor knife.

















After the ledge is cut I fit the binding in place to be sure it fits properly. The ledge is trimmed with the razor knife if necessary. I then like to put a light coat of shellac on the instrument. The shellac provides a barrier that will keep the cyanoacrylate (super) glue from discoloring the bare spruce .




The Binding is put in place and held with tape. Thin CA glue is then wiked into the joint, and more tape put on to hold the binding tightly in place.




Tomorrow I will remove the tape.

0 comments: to “ Bound and Gagged so far...