Another Longboard

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 0 comments

The latest project is a longboard skateboard. Another item I saw in a store and thought, "I can build one of these for less than that, and it would look a lot cooler." I ended up buying one anyway, but headed off to the wood store.......................


I already had a bunch of maple, so all I needed was some mahogany. A few rips on the tablesaw, and a bit of glue to put it back together. for some trim on the nose and tailblocks I added a strip of ebony.


For the finished shape I thought a nice longboard surfboard shape would look cool, and since I recently finished the waterlog, I used it as inspiration for the shape. I was a little sloppy on the glue-up of the plank, but a trip to my friend Justin at Arroyo Hardwoods, in Pasadena, to run it through the thickness sander had that taken care of. The finished thickness however was a little thinner than I would have planned, but I like the flex of it.


Not knowing much about skateboards, I went into the local surf/skate shop and asked for some longboard trucks. This guy, Alex, was happy to help. He pointed me to a set of Gullwing Chargers, with some Sector Nine bearings, and Sector Nine wheels (72mm).
The board finished out at 57"x10 1/4". It has a great flex, and carves excellent!
I am giving this board to a good friend of mine, Jeff. A couple of years ago he helped me start surfing, loaning me a board and getting me in the water.

0 comments: to “ Another Longboard so far...