The Chine Log

Thursday, March 6, 2008 0 comments

I removed the clamps from the frame this morning. Not that I was surprised, but it held together nicely. The next step is to put in a piece of 1/4" x 1/4" cedar strip that is called a "chine log", or "chine strip". This is an old boat building term that refers to the corner peice of wood that is used to join the bottom and side planking of flat bottom boats. On the srufboard they provide a similar purpose, as well as they give additional meat on the bottom corner for shaping the bottom of the rails later. The chine log fits into the knotches in each rib of the frame. This defines the outline of the board, so it is improtant to be sure it is a nice fair curve running the length of the board.

I did a dry run of it, and drew a pencil line to match up with. A bead of glue placed on the line and put the chine log in its place, held with the green spring clamps (HD for $1!!!!).


The instructions have you bend the chine log around the nose of the board. I changed things a lttle bit here. Instead I drew a nice round shape for the nose on a cutoff piece of planking. The chine logs butt into it. I am planning to steam bend the "bead only" strip around this, which I should get to tonight.

0 comments: to “ The Chine Log so far...