My Story - Moving Ahead

Wednesday, March 3, 2010 0 comments

After finding out the results of the CT scan and the diagnosis on July 31, 2009, Jen and I began making plans of how to deal with this new reality. We made arrangements to meet with a couple of medical oncologists on Tuesday, Aug 4. We made our decision of which doctor to work with, and she set things in motion to begin chemo-therapy treatments on Aug 9. This has become a weekly ritual for me with treatment each Monday, three weeks in a row then a week off.

Looking back 7 months now, I feel very fortunate. Overall my body is handling the treatment well. I am not experiencing the "typical" chemo therapy side effects. I do not get the nausea and vomiting thing, and I am not losing my hair. I do get fatigued, and the effects seem to be cumulative. I get more tired on week three, then my body recovers fairly well during the off week.

I just completed cycle 8. A cycle is 4 weeks long, consisting of one treatment of the chemotherapy each week for 3 weeks, then the 4th week off. So that makes 24 trips to the infusion center for treatment. In the big scheme of things the treatments are pretty easy. I show up for my appointment, usually on Monday morning, and sit in the waiting room. Unfortunately they are busy and usually run about 30 min late. When I get into the treatment room things go pretty smoothly. I am very happy with the nurses. It usually takes 10 min or so to get the vitals done, get the IV put in and give me a pill for nausea. I am not sure if I really need that pill, but they give it to me anyway, and I don't get nauseous. Then I sit for a about 10 min more and they bring in the chemo medication (gemcitabine). This is administered over a 30 min period, during which I am able to read, write, watch tv, talk with the nurses or sometimes other patients. On occasion I just take the Ipod and nap a little. After the 30 min, they do a flush with saline that takes about 8 min. Then they pull out the needle, and some of the hair on my arm with the tape used to hold the needle, and I am out of there!

I drive myself to and from the hospital. When I get home I usually plan on a low key day. Spending time on the couch or napping. Week one is usually not too bad, but by week three I do get pretty tired, so I try to plan my activities accordingly. I like the fact that there has been a pretty steady pattern to everything, it makes it easier to plan things , and gives me better chances to get the things done that I want and need to do.
I have posted a bit of what has been keeping me buys over the course of all of this. I will post more, hopefully in the next few days. I have some progress that has been made on the archtop guitar, and the 9'6" surfboard.

Blessings to all!!!

0 comments: to “ My Story - Moving Ahead so far...