Mmmmmmm Bacon

Saturday, January 24, 2009 0 comments

So last week I was able to go to the Gene Autry Western Museum with Reed's 2nd grade class. One of the tours the class participated in had to do with covered wagons and all the stuff the settlers brought across the country in them. For an activity, the guide gave each kid a piece of paper with a supply on it (flour, salt, corn meal, etc.). Then all of the kids gathered in a 4 foot by 10 foot area that represented the wagon. This was to demonstrate how crowded the wagons were for the settlers. I took a picture of one of Reed's friends, Mike holding his sign.

I e-mailed this picture to his father, Jason, who found it very funny considering how much Mike likes bacon. Jason replied, thanking me for the picture and included a link to a recipe called Bacon Explosion.


I was intrigued. Fortunately I was invited to a friends house to watch a UFC fight. The perfect opportunity to bring this bacon feast. Below is my version.


I used:

2 lbs of sweet Italian sausage

2 lbs thick cut bacon

about 1/2 lb mild cheddar cheese

Cattlemans BBQ sauce

McCormick Grill Mates Dry Pork Rub

The first pound of bacon is weaved into a 6 strip by 6 strip mat. In the bowl is the sausage after removing it from the casings.


The sausage pressed out to an even thickness and about the same dimension as the bacon mat. The dry rub is sprinkled on the bacon.


The second pound of bacon is fried up just like for breakfast, then cut into pieces and sprinkled on top of the sausage.


Then add cheese.................... At this point I also put some of the bbq sauce on. Then roll the sausage up into a loaf.......


And wrap in bacon!!!!!! and sprinkle a bit more of the dry rub on the outside.


On the grill I have already heated up the smoker chips and gotten the temperature to 225 F. The recipe says to cook it to an internal temperature of 165 F and suggests it should take about 1 hour for each inch of diameter.


Smokin'

Up to the 165 F internal temperature in 3 hours.

Since I was taking this to a friends house, when I got there I put a little BBQ sauce on top and put it in the oven for a few minutes.
Then slice and eat!!


The flavor was great (who would expect different, it is bacon!) The sausage was moist and full of flavor. Everyone enjoyed!


The unanounced theme of th eevening was UFC and Bacon. My friend Jim, who hosted the party, made what we refered to as bacon candy. Short strips of bacon covered in brown sugar and put in the broiler. MMMMMMMMMMM

0 comments: to “ Mmmmmmm Bacon so far...